Tuesday, October 15, 2002

Brittany came home in tears today. After school they had music try outs so that their music teacher could pick the 5 best 6th graders to be in a district wide choir at the end of the year. Britt has been looking forward to this for years and last year her teacher pretty much made it sound like Brittany would get in no problem. So Britt has had it in her head that she would get in and wasn't overly worried about it. Unfortunately, she got my cold and her throat is scratchy, on top of that she didn't practice much and when it came time to try out she didn't do very good. On top of that a girl who has always been upset that Brittany usually gets the solos made a big deal about Brittany not doing too good. Britt is pretty sure that she won't get in and my heart broke watching her cry.

We did have a long talk about how we don't always get what we want and that as she gets older she has to be prepared to sometimes be disappointed. We both agreed that she shouldn't ask to try out again because she would just seem like a spoiled brat but she is going to have a talk with her music teacher first thing in the morning and tell her that she was sorry that she didn't do her best due to being sick. Brittany is feeling like she let her music teacher down so she wanted to tell her that she was sorry if she did.

I so much want to call her teacher and tell her that Brittany was sick but I can't. My baby is growing up and needs to handle it on her own. But damn it, I don't want her to grow up! I want to be able to protect her from being hurt and make everything better. What scares me the most is that this is only the beginning! I think she did learn a lesson here, she realizes that she should never be so overly confident that she doesn't put in the effort that she needs to do to do her best. So tomorrow she will go to school and hopefully will be able to handle the disappointment with a brave face with her head up high because next time she will only do better.

With that said.......please keep your fingers crossed that she gets in! lol I know, I have prepared her for the worst but damn it I want her to get in! I'll let you know how it goes. :-)

No comments:

 

Missing You Blogger Template